Let's face it: periods can be expensive. From tampons to pads, the cost of menstrual products adds up over time. And not only that, but the environmental impact of disposable products is significant. That's where reusable pads come in. In this article, we'll explore how using reusable pads can not only benefit the planet, but also save you money in the long run.
Reusable pads are a type of menstrual product that can be washed and reused, unlike disposable pads that are thrown away after each use. They are made from a variety of materials, such as cotton or bamboo, and come in a range of sizes and absorbencies to suit individual needs.
- The average menstruator will use about 240 pads per year.
- The average cost of a pack of disposable pads is $7.00.
- That means the average menstruator will spend $84.00 per year on disposable pads alone.
Reusable PadsReusable pads, on the other hand, are a one-time purchase that can last for years. Here are some facts to consider:
- A pack of six reusable pads costs around $30.00.
- Assuming each pad lasts for two years (which is a conservative estimate), a menstruator would only need to purchase two packs of reusable pads over a ten-year period.
- That means the average menstruator would only spend $60.00 over a ten-year period on reusable pads - a savings of $240.00 compared to disposable pads!
The Benefits of Reusable Pads
Environmental BenefitsDisposable pads are a significant source of waste. It's estimated that the average menstruator will throw away about 10,000 pads in their lifetime. When you consider that disposable pads can take up to 500 years to decompose, that's a significant impact on the environment. Reusable pads, on the other hand, are made to be washed and reused. By using reusable pads, you can significantly reduce your environmental impact. Plus, many reusable pads are made with eco-friendly materials, such as organic cotton, bamboo, or hemp.
Health BenefitsDisposable pads are made with chemicals that can be harmful to your health. Some of the chemicals used in disposable pads include chlorine, dioxins, and synthetic fibers. These chemicals can cause irritation and even allergic reactions. Reusable pads are made with natural materials that are free of harmful chemicals. This means that reusable pads are better for your health and can help reduce the risk of irritation and allergies.
Financial BenefitsAs we've already discussed, reusable pads can save you money in the long run. However, there are some other financial benefits to consider as well. For example:
- Reusable pads are more comfortable than disposable pads, which means you're less likely to need pain relievers.